1 1/2 kg chicken
2 big onions, sliced
1 1/2 tbsp garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, crushed
lemon sized tamarind
2 green chillies, chopped
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp pepper powder
1/4-1/2 tsp fenugreek powder
1/4-1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
3 tbsp oil
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Grind together coriander powder, turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, pepper powder and fenugreek powder adding tamarind water and 1/2 cup of water to a smooth paste.
- Add mustard seeds to this and grind again to just the crush the mustard seeds and keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add onions and saute well adding little salt.
- Add green chillies, ginger and garlic and saute well till golden brown.
- Then add masala paste and mix well till the raw smell goes and oil separates.
- Add cleaned chicken pieces and mix well till masala is coated with chicken for 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cup of water and salt and cook covered at medium flame till done.
- Open the lid and cook at low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and keep it covered for 30 minutes. Serve with rice, appam , idiyappam etc…
Recipe Source: Magic Oven