1 cup chopped pineapple
1/4 cup toor dal
1 big tomato
4 big garlic cloves
1 tsp pepper corns
3-4 dry red chillies
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 dry red chillies
2 sprig curry leaves
1/4 tsp asafoetida
3 tbsp coriander leaves
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Add washed toor dal in a pressure cooker and cook it adding enough water for 5 whistles until soft and mash it and keep it aside.
- In a small jar of a blender, add garlic, pepper corns, dry red chillies and cumin seeds and blend to make coarsely ground paste/ powder without adding water.
- In a small bowl, roughly crush the tomato with hand and keep it aside.
- Transfer this to a deep bowl. Grind 1/2 cup of chopped pineapple in the same jar to a fine paste.
- Add this to the masala paste in the bowl and add the remaining finely chopped pineapple pieces. Then add in the crushed tomato.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add fenugreek seeds.
- Add the dry red chillies and the curry leaves. Add in the asafoetida.
- Add the pineapple-tomato masala mixture into this and saute for a minute.
- Now add the cooked mashed dal, turmeric powder, salt and enough water.
- Add coriander leaves and cook the rasam in low flame till frothy layer appears on top. Do not allow the rasam to boil.
- Remove from the flame and serve with rice….