2 cups idli rice
1 cup urad dal
1/2 cup cooked rice ( for softness)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
water for grinding
- Wash and soak idli rice and urad dal with fenugreek seeds in water separately for 5-6 hours.
- Grind the soaked idli rice and cooked rice adding enough water and transfer to a bowl.
- Then grind the soaked urad dal to a smooth paste and mix with the rice batter. Mix well. The batter should be thick.
- Keep the batter for fermentation in a warm place for about 8-10 hours ( or overnight).
- Add salt to the fermented batter and mix well.
- Heat water in a steamer. Grease small round steel plates and small steel bowls with oil and place the small bowl in the centre of the round steel plate as shown..
7. Fill with idli batter half the height of the steel plate as shown below…
8. Place this plate in the steamer, cover with its lid and steam cook for 10 minutes.
9. Remove from the steamer and once cools a little, remove it from the plate using wet spoon. Serve with sambar and chutney….
- I used small steel plates here, you can use big steel plate instead…