1 large vazhakoombu / banana flower, finely chopped
1/3 cup toor dal / thuvara parippu
1/2-3/4 cup grated coconut
2 garlic cloves
a pinch of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 green chillies
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Apply little oil in your hand and remove the outer hard layers of vazhakoombu/ banana flower until you find the pale coloured edible part and chop it finely and soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Crush grated coconut, garlic, cumin seeds and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder together and keep it aside.
- Wash the dal and cook in a pan adding salt and enough water till cooked and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion, green chillies, chopped vazhakoombu, chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt and cook covered on low flame.
- Add cooked dal to this and mix well for a minute.
- Add in the crushed mixture, stir well and cook for few minutes till all the water dries up…Remove from flame and serve with rice..