5-6 medium strawberries
6 garlic cloves
small lemon sized ( 1″ ball) tamarind
8 pepper corns
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
a small pinch of asafoetida
2 tbsp coriander leaves
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
1 tbsp oil
- Cut strawberries into small pieces.
- Crush pepper corns and cumin seeds together and keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in little water for 10 minutes, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add the garlic and saute till it is slightly cooked.
- Add the strawberry pieces, turmeric powder, chilli powder, crushed pepper-cumin and salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes till the strawberry turn mushy.
- Add the tamarind water and mix well.
- When the rasam boils, add the asafoetida powder and cook till the raw smell goes.
- Add coriander leaves and 1/2 tsp sugar (optional) and switch off the flame.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry.
- Add this seasoning to the rasam and keep it covered until served…Serve with rice….
Recipe Source: elephantsandthecoconuttrees.com