1/2 cup chana dal / kadalaparippu
250 gm ashgourd / kumbalanga
150 gm pumpkin / mathanga
250 gm yam / chena
1 1/2 cup grated coconut, for grinding
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup grated coconut
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp chilli powder, heaped
1/2 cup jaggery, grated
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
3-4 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak kadalaparippu in water for 5-6 hours. Chop the vegetables into small pieces.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add kadalaparippu and cook adding little water.
- When it is half cooked, add chopped vegetables to this and cook well without adding water.
- In the meantime, grind 1 1/2 cup grated coconut adding cumin seeds to a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in another pan, add 1 cup grated coconut and fry till brown and keep it aside.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt to the cooked vegetables and mix well.
- Add grated jaggery and mix well till it melts.
- Then add ground paste to this and mix well. Finally add fried coconut and mix well.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Add this to the kootu curry and mix well. Switch off the flame and serve as a side dish….
Recipe Source: Lekshmi Nair