1 1/2 cup chana dal / kadala parippu
1/2 cup urad dal / uzhunnu parippu
20 dried red chillies
10-12 garlic, chopped into two
small gooseberry sized tamarind
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
- In a pan, dry roast the chana dal till golden colour and transfer to a plate and allow it to cool.
- Then dry roast the urad dal and allow it to cool.
- Add a tsp of oil in a pan and add dried red chillies, garlic, tamarind, asafoetida and curry leaves and roast till the chillies are properly roasted. Do not burn the chillies.
- Transfer everything with some salt in a blender and powder it.
- Spread it on a plate or paper and allow to cool. Then store in an airtight container.
- Serve with idli / dosa….While serving, take a tbsp of idli podi and make a hole using finger at the centre and add a tsp of gingely oil and mix well.