1 cup cleaned clams / kakka irachi / elambakka
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 green chillies, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 cup grated coconut
1 tsp pepper powder
2 cup rice flour/ pathiri podi
2 cup water
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
banana leaves/ parchment paper
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add crushed garlic, curry leaves and green chillies and saute well.
- Add finely chopped onion and salt and saute well till transparent.
- Add chopped tomato and saute well till soft.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder and mix well till raw smell disappears.
- Add kakka irachi / clams and mix well. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- When it boils well, cook it covered for 2 minutes. Then add grated coconut to this and mix well.
- Add pepper powder, mix well and cook covered for 3 minutes.
- Remove from flame when water completely dries up..Keep it aside..
- Boil 2 cups of water adding salt. Add rice flour/ pathiri podi and mix well with a wooden spatula.
- When it is warm enough to handle, knead it with your hands until the dough becomes soft.
- Divide the dough into balls and flatten each ball in banana leaf/ parchment paper into a pathiri.
- Place prepared clams filling in the centre.
- Make similar pathiri in another banana leaf and place this on the masala filled pathiri and using fingers seal the edges of both pathiri’s together.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and clams filling. Place them in a steamer and steam cook for 15-20 minutes..Serve hot…