25 yellow dates / raw dates
1″ piece ginger, cut into thin slices
10-12 garlic cloves, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
2 tsp mustard seeds
4 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder ( adjust to your spice level)
1 tsp asafoetida
2 tsp fenugreek powder
1 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1/3 cup gingely oil
1/3 cup vinegar
- Wash the dates and pat dry using paper towel. Then cut each date into 4 slices and remove the seeds/ pits.
- In a pan, dry roast the mustard seeds. Then allow it to cool and make it into a fine powder
- Heat gingely oil in a pan and add the chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies and fry till it slightly changes colour to golden.
- Switch off the flame and when the oil is still hot add chilli powder, asafoetida, fenugreek powder, mustard powder, salt and sugar and mix well till the spices will get slightly roasted.
- Then put it back to stove on low flame and add date slices and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water and mix well. Simmer it for 2-3 minutes till the oil separates.
- Check for the salt and switch off the flame. Finally add vinegar and mix well.
- Allow it to cool completely and store in an air tight glass container/ bottle…
Recipe Source: Kitchen Corner-Try It