200 gm chana dal / kadalaparippu
1/2 bunch ( 200 gm) basale / malabar spinach, finely chopped
1/2 tsp pepper corns
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp green chilli, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Wash and soak chana dal in water for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and then grind to a coarse mixture with pepper corns and fennel seeds without adding water.
- Transfer this to a bowl and add finely chopped basale, chopped onion, ginger, green chilli, curry leaves, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt and mix well with your hand.
- Make small balls out of the mixture and flatten them with your palms.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop the prepared vadas gently to the hot oil and fry them on medium flame till crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tea / coffee…