1 cup white chick peas / chana
1 small beetroot
1/4 cup white sesame seeds
3 garlic cloves
1 1/2 lemon, squeezed
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
5 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
few parsley /coriander leaves
- Soak the white chick peas in water for 8-9 hrs or overnight . Cook the chick peas adding little salt till soft, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Boil or steam the beetroot, cut into pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add white sesame seeds and roast well till crisp. No need to brown them.
- Allow it to cool and then grind it adding 2 tbsp olive oil. Tahini paste is ready…
- In a blender, add the cooked chick peas, beetroot , garlic, lemon juice, cumin powder, pepper powder, 1 1/2 tbsp prepared tahini paste, 2 tbsp olive oil and salt adding to a paste adding little water.
- Transfer to a bowl / plate and spread evenly with the back of the spoon and drizzle some olive oil.
- Garnish with cooked chick peas and some coriander/parsley leaves. Serve with pita bread, falafel, kabab etc..