1 1/4 – 1 1/2 kg chicken
1 1/2 tbsp + 1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp + 1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp + 1/2 tsp pepper powder
3 tbsp + 3 tbsp + 1/4 cup yogurt
2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
4 cup basmati rice
8-9 green chillies
10-12 garlic cloves
1 big piece ginger
5 big onions, thinly sliced
2 big tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
3 tbsp mint leaves, chopped
3-4 pieces cinnamon
salt to taste
oil, as required
3-4 tbsp ghee
- Clean the chicken pieces and marinate it with 1 1/2 tbsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp pepper powder, 3 tbsp yogurt and salt. Keep it covered in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, add yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup warm water and mix well. Keep it covered for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add plain flour, 3 tbsp yogurt, yeast mixture and salt and knead well to a smooth dough. Keep it covered for 1 hour to double the size.
- Crush green chillies, ginger and garlic together and keep it aside.
- Heat 4-5 tbsp oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken till done. Keep it aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a large pan and add 4 onions sliced and saute well till light brown.
- Add crushed ginger-garlic-green chillies and saute well till the raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt and mix well. Cook it covered at low flame for 4-5 minutes till tomatoes are mashed.
- Add 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala, cumin powder and 1/2 tsp pepper powder and mix well.
- Add lemon juice, 1/4 cup yogurt, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves and mix well.
- Add fried chicken into this, mix well and cook covered at low flame for 10 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp ghee and 3 tbsp oil in a large pan.
- Add 1 onion thinly sliced and fry till golden brown. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and 6 cups of water.
- When it starts to boil, add drained rice and salt and cook covered at low flame till done.
- Open the lid and mix well. Sprinkle garam masala and a pinch of yellow colour/saffron mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice/ milk.
- Lightly mix the rice and spread the prepared chicken masala over the rice and cook covered at low flame for 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough again and roll it using a rolling pin to a big roti.
- Place the rolled dough inside a thick bottomed nonstick pan and spread nicely inside and outside of the pan (adjust according to the pan).
- Add some fried onion and chopped coriander leaves.
- Then spread prepared biriyani and garnish with fried onion and coriander leaves.
- Cover and seal well with dough on top using your hand. Cover the pan with a tight lid and place it on the flame and cook at low flame for 10 minutes.
- Then open the lid and flip it to another nonstick pan and cook it again for 4-5 minutes at low flame.
- Transfer to a plate and cut and serve with raita, chammanthi, pickle…..