1 kg crabs , cleaned
3 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp crushed ginger
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1 onion, sliced
2-3 kudampuli / gambooge
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp fennel seeds
4-5 pepper corns
2 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
- Cut the crabs into pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- Crush together shallots, 4 garlic cloves, fennel seeds and pepper corns and keep it aside.
- In a manchatti/ earthern pot or pan, add cleaned crabs, 2 tsp chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, crushed ginger, garlic, kudampuli, curry leaves , salt and 1/4-1/2 cup of water.
- Cover and cook at low flame till the crab is cooked well and the water dries off.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add chopped onion and saute well till they turn golden brown.
- Add crushed mixture and saute well till the raw smell disappears.
- Add 1 tsp chilli powder, coriander powder and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and mix well for a minute.
- Now add the cooked crab, mix well and cook it for 3-4 minutes, stirring in between.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot….
- Adjust the spice level according to your taste…