1/2 kg kumbalanga / ash gourd
2 big drumsticks / muringakka
100 gm toor dal
2 green chillies, slit
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
gooseberry sized tamarind
1/4 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 dry red chillies
2 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Peel and chop ash gourd into cubes. Cut the drumsticks into pieces.
- Soak tamarind in 1/4 cup of water for 10 minutes. Then extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Grind together grated coconut, cumin seeds and chilli powder to a smooth paste adding little water.
- In a pan, add chopped ash gourd, drumsticks, green chilli, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt and cook it covered adding about 2 cups of water for 15 minutes at low flame.
- In a pressure cooker, add toor dal and cook it for 2 whistle adding 1/2 cup of water.
- Add cooked dal to cooked vegetables and mix well.
- Then add tamarind juice and ground coconut paste, mix well and allow it to boil well.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry.
- Pour this seasoning over the curry and keep it covered for 4-5 minutes. Then mix well and serve with rice….