1/2 kg papaya
2 tbsp ginger, sliced
2 tbsp garlic, sliced
3-5 green chillies, sliced
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp fenugreek-mustard powder
6-7 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp jaggery
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
3 tbsp gingely oil
- Peel and cut papaya into long slices. Drain the water well and keep it aside.
- In a small pan, lightly dry roast 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds and then powder them. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute well till golden brown.
- Reduce the flame to very low and add kashmiri chilli powder and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add asafoetida and 1/4 tsp mustard-fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Then add the sliced papaya and salt and mix well.
- Add vinegar and jaggery and mix well for a minute. Add remaining 1/4 tsp mustard – fenugreek powder and mix well.
- Adjust the salt and switch off the flame.
- Allow it to cool completely and store in an air tight glass container/ bottle…
Recipe Source: Fadwa’s Kitchen