1/2 kg prawns, cleaned
10-12 kovakka / ivy gourd, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
small piece ginger, chopped
4 green chillies, slit
1 small tomato, chopped
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
3 tsp + 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 small piece kudampuli / gambooje
2 sprig curry leaves
1 cup grated coconut
2 dry red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- In a manchatti / earthen pot, add cleaned prawns , sliced kovakka, onion, green chillies, tomato, curry leaves, salt, kudampuli, ginger, turmeric powder and chilli powder and mix well and cook it covered adding enough water.
- Grind together grated coconut and 2 shallots to a smooth paste.
- Add this ground coconut paste and boil well for 5-7 minutes till the gravy thickens. Switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies, 2 sliced shallots and curry leaves and saute till brown.
- Switch off the flame and add 1/2 tsp chilli powder and mix well. Pour this over the curry and mix well. Serve hot…