1 cup spinach / palak, chopped
250 gm boneless chicken, cubed
1 cup basmati rice
1 onion, sliced
2 green chillies, slit
1/2 tsp + 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
3/4 tsp + 1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp garam masala
1 bay leaf
1/2 inch cinnamon
1/2 tsp pepper corns
salt to taste
4 tbsp oil
1 tsp ghee
- In a pan, add the spinach leaves, enough water and salt and boil for 2 minutes. Cool and then puree it to a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Soak basmati rice in water for 20-30 minutes.
- In a bowl, add cleaned chicken pieces, 3/4 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste, 1/4 tsp garam masala and salt and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick bottomed pan and add marinated chicken and fry until its cooked. Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil and 1 tsp ghee. Add bay leaf, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and pepper corns and saute.
- Add sliced onion and slit green chillies and saute well.
- Add 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste and saute well till raw smell goes.
- Add spinach puree and saute well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala and coriander powder and mix well.
- Add fried chicken and mix well for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add 2 cups of water and salt and mix well.
- When it starts to boil, add drained rice and cook covered at low flame till done….