1 cup plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup (60 gm) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk plain flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, mix together heavy cream, egg and vanilla essence.
- Add this to the flour mixture, along with the chopped cherries and mix gently until combined to form a dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead briefly until smooth. Use extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Roll out / press the dough into disc and with a sharp knife, cut into wedges. Arrange them on the baking tray, spaced slightly apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and risen.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly and serve….