1/2 cup vanpayar/ red beans
1- 1 1/4 cup grated coconut
3 green chillies
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 big tomato, chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3 shallots, sliced
2 dry red chillies
2 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp oil
- Soak the vanpayar in water for 1 hour. Then cook it adding 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and salt adding enough water for 2 whistles.
- Grind grated coconut and green chillies together to a smooth paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Heat 1- 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan and add chopped onion, curry leaves and little salt and saute well till transparent.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and kashmiri chilli powder and mix well for a minute.
- Add chopped tomato and saute till cooked.
- Then add the ground coconut paste and mix well for 3 minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Add cooked vanpayar along with the gravy, mix well and heat well for 5 minutes. Adjust the salt and spice level.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add sliced shallots and fry. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Pour this over the curry and mix well… Serve hot…