1 cup vazhapindi/ banana stem, chopped
1 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 shallots, sliced
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chillies, slit
1 cup yoghurt, beaten
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
a pinch of chilli powder
2-3 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
- Cut the banana stem into rounds and pull the fibre from the edges using fingers and remove them. Then chop into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, turmeric powder , shallots, 1 green chilli and cumin seeds together to a thick paste adding little water.
- Add yoghurt with the ground coconut paste and mix well.
- In a pan, add chopped banana stem, 1-2 slit green chillies, salt and water and cook covered on medium flame till the pieces are cooked.
- Reduce the flame and add ground coconut paste- yoghurt mixture and heat on low flame for few minutes. Don’t allow to boil.
- Heat little coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add dry red chillies , curry leaves and a pinch of chilli powder.
- Pour this seasoning over the curry and keep it covered for 5 minutes. Mix well and serve with rice…