1 cup vellapayar / black eyed beans
2 cups drumstick leaves / muringayila, cleaned
1 1/2-2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 green chillies, slit
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 cup grated coconut
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dry red chillies
1 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
- Wash and soak black eyed beans in water for 3-4 hours.
- Heat a pan and add the grated coconut along with fennel seeds and shallots and dry roast till brown. Then grind it to a fine paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Cook the soaked beans/ payar in a pressure cooker with chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, green chillies, onion, tomato, garlic and salt adding enough water for 3 whistles.
- When pressure releases, open the cooker and add drumstick leaves, mix well and cook covered for 4-5 minutes at medium flame.
- Then add ground coconut paste to this, mix well and allow it to boil at medium flame. Adjust the salt and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and pour this over the curry…Serve with rice/ pathiri etc…