Today was my little one Shayaan’s birthday. Alhamdulillah, he is now 7 ! Recently he has been starting to play soccer so I decided to make him a soccer ball cake.
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar, powdered
3/4 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
For Buttercream Frosting:
1 cup butter, at room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar/ icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp milk
For Buttercream Frosting:
- In a bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer, add butter and beat on medium speed until completely smooth.
- One cup at time, add 2 cups of icing sugar , beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract and beat to combine. Add about 1 tbsp of milk/ cream and continue beating.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of icing sugar, one at a time and beat. Add 1-2 tbsp milk/ cream and beat until the desired consistency is reached.
For Cake and its assembling:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius. Grease and butter ball pans / tins and line them with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, add plain flour and baking powder and mix well. Keep it aside.
3. Separate yolk and whites of the eggs in separate bowls.
4. To egg yolk, add vanilla essence and mix well.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add egg white and beat well.
6. Add sugar to this in batches and beat well until stiff.
7. Then add egg yolk and beat again until well combined.
8. Add flour mixture and using whisk / spatula and mix gently.
9. In another bowl, add warm milk and oil and mix well. Add this to the batter and mix gently.
10. Take vinegar in a small bowl and add baking soda. Add this mixture to the batter and mix gently.
11. Pour the batter in the prepared cake pans and tap well.
12. Bake them in the preheated oven for 25 -30 minutes. The top will be browned and edges will come away from the pan.
13. Cool in pans for 5 minutes and then carefully invert out, remove parchment paper and cool completely on a wire rack.
14. Slice the tops off with a serrated knife to get two perfect halves of a ball.
15. Spread little butter cream frosting on the cake board and place one half and spread the top with butter cream and gently place the other half on top.
16. Then cover the entire cake with buttercream frosting and smooth out the cake.
17. Roll out the white fondant and then place it over the soccer ball and and use a cake smoother to smooth the fondant over the top of the cake.
18. Cut off any excess fondant at the bottom edges.
19. Print the hexagon and pentagon templates onto a sheet of paper and cut them.
20. Roll out some more white fondant and cut out hexagons. Then roll out some black and cut out pentagons using the templates.
21. Using a little water to make it stick, add one of the black pentagon into place and then surround that with white hexagons.
22. Continue to stick the rest of the hexagons and pentagons onto the ball in the soccer ball pattern. Using a skewer / fondant tool drag down along the join so that it looks like the soccer ball is stitched together.
23. Take some desiccated coconut and add little green gel colouring and mix well until the coconut turns grassy green.
24. Sprinkle the coconut around the cake to create the grass…..
Cake Design Recipe Source: Make Fabulous Cakes ( YouTube)