1 1/3 cup semolina / rava
1/2 cup sugar, powdered
1/3 cup refined oil or melted butter
1/2 cup fine desiccated coconut / coconut powder
1 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup almonds ( or as required)
For Sugar Syrup:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp rose water
- Soak the almonds in hot water for 1/2 an hour. Peel off the skin of almonds and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, add semolina and 1/2 cup sugar and mix well.
- Add oil or melted butter and mix it properly without lumps.
- Add desiccated coconut, milk, baking powder and vanilla essence and mix well. Keep it for 5-7 minutes.
- Grease the surface and every edges of a glass tray / baking tray with oil and sprinkle 1 tbsp semolina all over.
- Pour the batter to the prepared tray and spread evenly.
- Then mark lines with a knife to get square / diamond shapes.
- Place the almonds in the centre of each piece and press very lightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius and bake it for 30-40 minutes or until the top turn golden brown.
- In the meantime, prepare sugar syrup. Boil 1/2 cup of water in a pan adding 1/2 cup sugar. Reduce the flame and add 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tsp rose water and boil until sugar get dissolved. Switch off the flame and let it cool down a bit.
- Remove the basbousa from the oven and cut the pieces with a sharp knife along the marked lines.
- Pour the sugar syrup all over the basbousa while it is still hot…
- Serve warm or at room temperature…