3 tbsp chana dal /kadala parippu
1 dried red chillies
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
a pinch of asafoetida
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a small sprig of curry leaves
salt to taste
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in a pan and add chana dal and dried red chillies and fry until the dal turns golden brown. Remove them from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan , add chopped onion and tomato and saute until tomatoes turn mushy and raw smell leaves.
- Remove from the flame and grind these roasted ingredients together with asafoetida, required salt and water to a paste.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds and add curry leaves.
- Add the tempering to the chutney and mix well. Serve with idli / dosa…
Recipe Source: Sharmis Passions