1 1/2 kg chicken
1 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
1 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
1 1/2 tbsp (heaped) + 1/2-3/4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp heaped cornflour
1 tbsp heaped gram flour
1 tbsp heaped rice flour
1 big onion, finely chopped
2 green chillies, slit
2 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Cut the chicken into 30-35 pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl, add ginger paste, garlic paste, 1 1/2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, cornflour, gram flour, rice flour, egg and salt and mix well.
- Add chicken pieces into this and marinate well. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours ( 5-6 hours or overnight marination is better).
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Take the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and mix well again using hand.
- When oil is hot, reduce the flame to low-medium and fry the chicken pieces in batches. ( Don’t stir chicken immediately after adding in the oil..)
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil ( from oil used for frying chicken ) in a thick bottomed pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add finely chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves and saute well till colour starts to change.
- Switch off the flame and add 1/2-3/4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Transfer the fried chicken on a serving plate and garnish it with this fried onion masala and serve hot….
Recipe Source: Lekshmi Nair