1 cup raw rice / pachari
1 cup jackfruit, chopped ( 1 cup jackfruit pulp )
1 cup jaggery, grated
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
2 tbsp coconut bits
1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
1 tbsp ghee
oil for frying
- Wash and soak the raw rice in water for 3 hours.
- In a blender, add the chopped jackfruit pieces and puree / blend it well to a smooth paste/ pulp and keep it aside.
- Melt the grated jaggery in a sauce pan adding about 1/2 cup of water.
- In a blender, add drained rice and strained hot jaggery syrup and grind for 2 minutes.
- Then add the jackfruit pulp, cardamom powder, baking soda, cumin powder and salt and blend well until the batter is smooth. Transfer this to a bowl.
- Heat ghee in a small frying pan and fry the coconut bits till light brown.
- Add this fried coconut bits and sesame seeds to the batter and mix well. Keep this batter covered for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in an unniyappam pan at medium flame.
- When oil becomes hot, pour a spoonful of batter into each hole and cook on low-medium flame till the sides gets cooked.
- Then turn it using a skewer or spoon gently and cook the other side until it turns golden brown colour and cooked.
- Remove from the pan and drain them on a paper towel…Serve hot..