1 cup raggi / finger millet
1/2 cup urad dal
1/2 cup raw rice / pachari
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup aval (rice flakes / beaten rice)
salt to taste
- In a bowl, add raggi, urad dal, raw rice and fenugreek seeds and wash well and soak for 2-3 hours.
- Then drain the water ( can use the same water for grinding) and keep it aside.
- Soak the aval / beaten rice in little water for 10-15 minutes.
- In a blender, add the drained ragi mix and soaked aval and grind well adding about 3/4 cup of water till smooth.
- Pour the batter into a bowl and add salt and keep it for fermentation for 8 hours or overnight.
- In an idli cooker/ steamer , take enough water and allow to boil.
- Grease the idli moulds with little oil and pour the batter in the moulds.
- Place them in the steamer, close with a tight lid and steam cook on medium flame for about 15-18 minutes or until idlis get cooked well.
- Remove from the flame and allow to cool. Then remove the idlis from the moulds using the spoon and serve with sambar/ chutney…