3 cup red spinach / chuvanna cheera / red amaranth, finely chopped
small lemon sized tamarind
4-5 garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chilli
1 tsp jaggery
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 sprig curry leaves
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 tsp coconut oil / ghee
salt to taste
- Wash and finely chop the spinach. Soak the tamarind in little water.
- Crush the garlic cloves, cumin seeds and green chilli together and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, take 1/2 of the chopped spinach and pour 1/2-3/4 cup of hot water and keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- Then drain the water ( reserve the water to use later ) and grind well to a puree and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add remaining chopped spinach, tamarind extract, turmeric powder, asafoetida and jaggery and boil well adding required water.
- Add the crushed garlic-chilli mixture to this and cook it covered for 4-5 minutes at low flame.
- When you starts to get nice aroma, add spinach puree, pepper powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add reserved water and more water if required and boil well.
- Add coriander leaves and curry leaves and keep it covered for a minute. When it boils, add coconut oil / ghee and switch off the flame. Serve with rice…
Recipe Source: dhanus_potofflavours (instagram)