3/4 kg beef, cut into cubes
1 1/2 cup shallots, sliced
1 green chilli, sliced
1 1/2 tbsp ginger, crushed
2 tbsp garlic, crushed
3 tbsp coconut slices/ thenga kothu
2 sprig curry leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1 1/2-2 tsp meat masala powder
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
3-4 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium flame and add coconut slices and stir for a minute.
- Add curry leaves and green chilli and stir for a minute.
- Add sliced shallots and a pinch of salt and cook till onion turns transparent.
- Add crushed ginger-garlic and saute well till onion turns golden.
- Reduce the flame to low and add turmeric powder, coriander powder, kashmiri chilli powder, pepper powder and meat masala powder ( or garam masala) and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Add beef pieces and salt, mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add hot water to this and mix well. Cook for 3 whistles over medium-high flame and then cook for 2-3 whistles at medium-low flame, till beef pieces are completely cooked.
- Open the cooker after 10 minutes and add garam masala and few curry leaves and cook for a few minutes till the gravy turns thick.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot with porotta, pathiri, ghee rice etc…