1 kg chicken
2 cup grated coconut
2 tbsp + 1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp fennel powder
3/4 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp yogurt
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 green chillies, slit
1 sprig curry leaves
1 1/2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp coriander powder
1 1/4 tsp pepper powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
1 tomato, chopped
salt to taste
3 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
coconut oil, as required
- Cut the chicken into pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp fennel powder, lemon juice, yogurt and salt and mix well.
- Marinate cleaned chicken pieces with this masala and keep it covered for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and dry roast coconut at low-medium flame till brown. ( Don’t allow to burn). Switch off the flame and allow it to cool..
- Transfer 1/2 of the roasted coconut to a small blender and powder it and keep it aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and fry the marinated chicken pieces on both sides till 3/4 cooked.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp of fried oil in a pan and add thinly sliced onions and saute well adding salt till soft and cooked.
- Add slit green chillies and curry leaves and saute well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes.
- Add coriander powder, 1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder, pepper powder, garam masala and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add chopped tomato and mix well. Add 2 tbsp water, mix well and cook covered at low flame till cooked and soft. Adjust salt and mix well.
- Add fried chicken pieces and roasted coconut powder and mix well.
- Reduce the flame to low and add 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup of water and mix well for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add chopped coriander leaves and remaining roasted coconut and cook covered at low-medium flame for 10 -12 minutes, stirring occasionally till the masala is well coated with chicken.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves…Serve hot with pathiri, neer dosa, chapati etc…