1 cup yam / chena, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup vanpayar / red cow peas / red beans
1 1/2 – 2 tsp chilli powder
1 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup + 1/2 cup grated coconut
2 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
5 shallots, sliced
2 dry red chillies
2 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak vanpayar in water overnight and then cook in pressure cooker adding 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2-3/4 tsp chilli powder, salt and little water for 1 whistle. Keep it aside.
- Peel and chop yam into cubes and pressure cook it adding 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, salt and little water for 1 whistle. Keep it aside.
- Grind together 1 cup grated coconut, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, garlic, green chillies, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, few curry leaves and cumin seeds to a coarse paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Transfer the cooked yam, cooked vanpayar and ground coconut paste to a large pan/ manchatti and boil well.
- Adjust the salt and when it thickens, switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add dry red chillies, curry leaves, shallots and 1/2 cup grated coconut and fry till coconut turns brown in colour.
- Switch off the flame and pour this tempering over the curry. Mix well.
- Pour little coconut oil and curry leaves on top and serve hot with rice…