1 cup pumpkin, chopped
1/4 cup grated coconut
1 tbsp urad dal
3-4 dry red chillies
small piece tamarind
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
a pinch of asafoetida
1 tbsp oil
- Peel the pumpkin and cut them into small pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add urad dal and dry red chillies and roast till the dal turns golden colour.
- Add small piece of tamarind and cook for few seconds. Transfer to a plate and keep it aside to cool.
- In the same oil, add the pumpkin pieces with some salt and saute till it becomes soft and cooked but not mushy. Keep it aside to cool.
- Add everything in a blender with grated coconut and grind together to a smooth paste adding water as required. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and fry curry leaves.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida and switch off the flame.
- Pour this tempering over chutney and serve with dosa / idli…