2 cups bamboo rice / mulayari
salt to taste
water, as required
3/4 cup grated coconut, or as required
- Wash the mulayari / bamboo rice and soak it in water for 10-12 hours or overnight.
- Drain the excess water and spread in a clean cloth to air dry for 2- 4 hours.
- Then grind it to a smooth powder using a mixie / blender.
- Dry roast this flour (mulayari puttupodi ) in a thick bottomed pan for 3-4 minutes till all the moisture is gone and it becomes very dry. Remove from the flame and keep it aside to cool.
- To make puttu, add the roasted mulayari flour and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Add / sprinkle water little by little and mix well with hand without any lumps till it becomes wet/ moist. Keep it covered for 5 minutes.
- Take a puttu maker and layer it with grated coconut first, then the mulayari flour and then a layer of grated coconut.
- Repeat the process till the puttu maker is filled and finish with a layer of grated coconut.
- Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 3-4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 7-10 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
- Remove it to a plate and serve hot with kadala curry / banana or any curry of your choice….