1/2 cup toor dal / thuvara parippu
3 tomatoes, chopped
4 garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
5-6 dry red chillies
1 tsp pepper corns
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
2 shallots, sliced
2 green chillies
1/4 cup coriander leaves
2 sprigs curry leaves
lemon sized tamarind
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal
salt to taste
1 – 1 1/2 tbsp oil
- Crush together cumin seeds, 3-4 dry red chillies, pepper corns, coriander seeds and garlic cloves and keep it aside.
- Soak a lemon sized tamarind in 1 cup of water and extract its juice.
- To this tamarind water, add chopped tomatoes, crushed spices, coriander leaves and curry leaves and mix well and keep it aside.
- Cook toor dal adding water and salt, mash it using 1/2 cup of water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan / manchatti and splutter mustard seeds and urad dal.
- Add 2 dry red chillies, chopped green chillies, shallots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add asafoetida powder and mix well.
- Then add cooked dal and mix well. Once it starts to boil, add tamarind mixture and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Then cook on medium flame for 5 minutes till a frothy layer appear on top.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and close the pan for few minutes. Serve with rice…..