1/2 cup kumbalanga/ ash gourd, cut into cubes
1/2 cup pumpkin, cut into cubes
1 raw banana, cut into cubes
3 green chillies
1 drumstick, chopped
small lemon sized tamarind
3/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tbsp jaggery powder
1/2 cup grated coconut
1/2 tsp rice
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
3/4 cup yogurt / curd
2 sprig curry leaves
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 dry red chilli
a pinch of fenugreek powder
1 tbsp ghee / coconut oil
- Peel and cut pumpkin, ashgourd and raw plantain into cubes.
- Add small lemon sized tamarind in 1 cup of water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan/ kalchatti, add cubed vegetables, 2 green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind water, turmeric powder, chilli powder and pepper powder. Mix well and add more water and cook. When it boils well, cook covered till soft.
- In the mean time, dry roast rice and fenugreek seeds.
- Grind well grated coconut, 1 green chilli, roasted rice and fenugreek seeds adding little water to a smooth paste.
- When vegetables are cooked, add drumstick and salt. Adjust the water and cook covered till done.
- Then add the ground paste and mix well. Add jaggery powder, mix well and boil for few minutes at medium flame, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, add thick yogurt and little water and whisk well. Add this to the kalan and mix well. Switch off the flame.
- Heat ghee / coconut oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add dry red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute. Add a pinch of fenugreek powder and mix.
- Pour this over the curry and cover with a lid for 5 minutes…
Recipe Source: Mahimas Cooking Class