150 gm black eyed beans, soaked overnight and drained
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp sugar
large pinch of asafoetida
2 tbsp oil
chopped coriander leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the cumin seeds, fry it and then add the asafoetida and sliced onion and stir fry until golden.
- Stir in the ginger-garlic paste and mix well.
- Add the black eyed beans, chilli powder and turmeric powder, fry for 1 min.
- Add the tomatoes , garam masala, sugar and salt and mix well. Add a little water, cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until done.The beans should retain their shape.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.