1 cup peas dal / chana dal ( kadalaparippu)
1 1/2 cup spinach, finely chopped
1″ piece ginger
3-4 green chillies
1 dry red chilli
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
2 sprig curry leaves, chopped
a pinch of turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Wash and soak dal in water for 3-4 hours.
- Crush together ginger, green chillies, dry red chillies, fennel seeds, few curry leaves and 1 tbsp soaked dal to a coarse mixture. Keep it aside.
- Drain the water from soaked dal and grind it into a coarse paste without adding water (don’t make it paste, crush it lightly).
- Transfer this to a bowl and add finely chopped spinach, crushed mixture, chopped onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt and mix well with your hand.
- Make small balls out of the mixture and flatten them with your palms.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop the prepared vadas gently to the hot oil and fry them on medium flame till they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with tea / coffee…