2 1/2 cup plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1/4 tsp salt
115 gm butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp cocoa powder
- In a bowl, add plain flour, corn flour and salt and mix well and keep it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or in the bowl of electric mixer, add the butter and sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla essence and beat well.
- Add the flour mixture little by little and beat at low speed until well combined.
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap one portion in plastic wrap / ziplock bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In other portion, add cocoa powder and beat again till well combined. Then place / wrap it in plastic wrap / ziplock bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius. Line the baking sheet with baking paper/ parchment paper.
- Once the dough is firm, place it between two sheets of parchment paper and roll the dough using a rolling pin until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Then using a 2 inch (5 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out rounds.
- Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheet and using a 1 3/4 inch (4 cm) cookie cutter, lightly press the top of each cookie making a slight indentation.
- Then with a straw or 3 mm pastry tip , cut out 2 or 4 “button” holes in the centre of each cookie. Repeat the same process with the chocolate dough.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes. Cool the cookies on the tray for 5 minutes and then gently transfer to a wire rack.
- Store the cooled cookies in an air tight containers..