1 cup kumbalanga / ash gourd/ winter melon, chopped
1/2 cup grated coconut
1 cup yoghurt
2 green chillies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
4-5 curd chillies/ thairu mulaku / kondattam mulaku
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Peel and chop kumbalanga into small pieces and cook it in a pan adding 1 slit green chilli, salt and enough water.
- Grind grated coconut with cumin seeds, 1 green chilly and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds to a smooth paste.
- Add this ground paste to the cooked kumbalanga, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the beaten yoghurt and mix well. Check for salt and switch off the flame. Don’t allow to boil.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in another pan and splutter 1/2 tsp mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. Add curd chillies and curry leaves and fry.
- Add this seasoning to the prepared kichadi , mix well and serve with rice……