1 small beetroot
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup gram flour
3/4-1 tbsp kashmiri chilli powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida/ hing
1 tsp oil
salt to taste
oil for frying
few curry leaves
- Peel and chop the beetroot into pieces and then grind to a fine paste adding enough water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add rice flour, gram flour, kashmiri chilli powder, asafoetida, salt and 1 tsp oil and mix well.
- Add beetroot juice little by little and mix and knead well into a smooth and soft dough.
- Spread oil in an idiyappam press and place the pakkavada plate/ mould and fill the press with dough.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan at medium flame and press the dough to hot oil in circular motion.
- Fry until crispy and brown flipping to the other side in between.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain them on to a paper towel. Repeat the process until the dough is finished.
- Fry the curry leaves and mix them with the pakkavada…Store in an airtight container and serve with tea…