1 1/2 cup yam / chena, peeled and chopped into cubes
1/2 cup muthira / horse gram
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
3/4 cup + 1/3 cup grated coconut
3 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 dry red chillies
2 sprig curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
salt to taste
1 tsp + 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- In a pressure cooker, add horse gram and cook it adding 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1 tsp oil, salt and 3 cups of water for about 4-6 whistles or until soft.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and add yam cubes and chilli powder. Add 1/4 cup warm water, if required and pressure cook for 1-2 whistles or until done.
- Grind together 3/4 cup grated coconut, garlic, green chillies, few curry leaves and cumin seeds to a paste adding little water and keep it aside.
- Add this ground paste to the cooked horse gram and yam and mix well.
- Add hot water if it is very thick and bring to a boil and cook for 4-5 minutes over low flame.
- Adjust the salt and when it thickens, switch off the flame.
- Heat coconut oil in a small pan and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add dry red chillies, curry leaves and 1/3 cup grated coconut and fry till coconut turns brown in colour.
- Switch off the flame and pour this tempering over the curry.
- Keep it covered for 10 minutes and then mix well and serve with rice…