2 cups brown rice
3/4 cup urad dal
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup beaten rice / aval
salt to taste
- Wash the rice and soak in water for 5-6 hours.
- In another bowl, add urad dal and fenugreek seeds and rinse it well adding water. Then soak it in water for 5-6 hours.
- Soak aval / beaten rice flakes in little water half an hour before grinding.
- In a blender, add the drained urad dal and soaked beaten rice flakes and grind well to a smooth paste adding little water. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Then add the drained rice in the same blender and grind it to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Transfer to the same bowl and mix well using hand.
- Cover and keep it for fermentation for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Add salt to the fermented batter and mix well.
- In an idli cooker/ steamer , take enough water and allow to boil.
- Grease the idli moulds with little oil and pour the batter in the moulds.
- Place them in the steamer, close with a tight lid and steam cook on medium flame for about 15 minutes or until idlis get cooked well.
- Remove from the flame and allow to cool. Then remove the idlis from the moulds using the spoon and serve with sambar/ chutney…