It is known by different names like aaram number, poovappam, pettiyappam, pottiyappam etc…..
1/2 kg plain flour
1 egg (optional)
1 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
salt to taste
oil for frying
- In a bowl, add plain flour, egg, sesame seeds and salt and mix well.
- Add water as required and knead well to a soft dough.
- Make 4-5 balls out of this dough and roll each in a floured surface into very thin sheet using a rolling pin.
- Using a knife / pizza cutter, cut diagonally on the rolled dough to make diamond shaped pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry them in batches on medium-low flame till crispy and light brown on both sides.
- Remove from the oil and drain them on a paper towel.
- Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container. Enjoy as a tea time snack…