20-25 mussels / kallummakaya, cleaned
1 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tomato, finely chopped
small lemon sized tamarind
3/4 cup grated coconut
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
few curry leaves
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Soak tamarind in 3/4 cup of water, extract its juice and keep it aside.
- Grind grated coconut, chopped onion and crushed garlic together to a paste.
- Heat a manchatti or pan, add cleaned mussels, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, chopped tomato, tamarind water and salt and cook covered till done.
- Add ground coconut paste to the cooked mussels, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat oil in another small pan and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add this to the prepared curry, mix well and bring to a boil. Remove from flame and serve hot…
Recipe adapted from Non Vegetarian Vibhavangal