1 1/2 cup puttu podi / rice flour
1/2 cup grated coconut
water as required
1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 large tomato, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
a pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
coriander leaves, chopped
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
- Pressure cook the peas for 2 whistles adding enough water and salt. Then drain the water and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, mix the puttupodi with 2-3 tbsp grated coconut. Add little salt to water and add this water little by little to the puttupodi till it becomes wet/ moist and mix thoroughly without any lumps. Keep it aside.
- To prepare green peas masala, heat oil in a pan and splutter cumin seeds.
- Add chopped onion and saute until transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute well till soft.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and required salt and mix well.Sprinkle little water if needed and stir well for a minute.
- Then add cooked green peas, mix well and cook on low flame for 5 minutes till all the water dries up.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- To prepare puttu, take a puttu maker and layer it with 1 tbsp grated coconut first, then the puttupodi and then the green peas masala as the third layer. Repeat the process, till the puttu maker is filled.
- Fill pressure cooker/ puttu kudam with 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Place the puttu maker on top of it and steam cook for 5-7 minutes or until the steam starts coming out from the top of puttu maker.
- Remove it to a plate and serve hot…
- If you are using frozen green peas, do not pressure cook it, just rinse it well and use it..