1 kg chicken
2 medium onions, sliced
2 green chillies, slit
4 garlic cloves, crushed
small piece ginger, crushed
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp ghee
1 tbsp oil
2 cups basmati rice/ jeerakasala rice
2 cups water
salt to taste
chopped coriander leaves
- Cut the chicken into small pieces, clean it and keep it aside.
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and saute sliced onion and green chillies with little salt till transparent.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute till raw smell is gone.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till soft and mashed.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and fennel powder, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cleaned chicken pieces and mix well. Sprinkle in the garam masala and cook on low flame till it releases stock and is 80 % done.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee in a large pan and fry cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Add drained rice to this and saute for 4-5 minutes on medium flame till crisp.
- Add the water with salt and cook covered on low flame till the water is absorbed by the rice.
- Add the rice into the cooking chicken and stock and mix well. Then cook it covered on low flame for another 15 minutes or till completely cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with raita, pickle etc…