1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup gram flour/ kadalapodi
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp melted butter
salt to taste
oil for frying
- Blanch the tomatoes (add tomatoes in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes or till it’s skin cracks and then transfer them to a bowl of cold water), then peel off the skin and grind to a smooth paste / puree and keep it aside.
- In a bowl, add the rice flour, gram flour, chilli powder, fennel seeds, melted butter and salt and mix well.
- Then add tomato puree to this and knead it to a smooth dough. Add little water if required.
- Take a murukku press / mould , use the star shaped disc and fill it with the dough.
- Heat oil in a deep pan and when the oil gets heated up, press the murukku directly into the hot oil. Do not overcrowd.
- Fry them on medium flame till they are cooked and turn crispy on both sides. Drain on paper towel and repeat the same for the remaining dough.
- Cool down to room temperature and then store in an air tight container….Enjoy as a tea time snack…