2 cups idli batter
5 shallots / 1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves, chopped
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp urad dal
salt to taste
- Chop the broccoli florets into fine pieces. Wash them well, pat dry and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add splutter mustard seeds.
- Add urad dal and curry leaves and saute for a minute till urad dal turn to light brown colour.
- Add finely chopped onion/ shallots, ginger, green chillies and salt and saute well till onion turns soft.
- Add the chopped broccoli florets and stir fry for 5-7 minutes till they become soft.Adjust the salt.
- Remove it from the flame and keep it aside to cool down for about 5 minutes.
- Then add this broccoli mix to the idli batter and mix well.
- Heat a paniyaram / unniyappam pan and add few drops of oil in each hole.
- Pour a spoonful of batter in each hole and cook covered for 3-4 minutes on low- medium flame till the top of paniyaram dries up and bottom turn golden brown.
- Then turn it using a skewer or spoon gently and cook uncovered for 2-3 minutes till the other side also turn golden brown.
- When both sides are cooked, remove paniyarams from pan and serve hot with chutney….