1 1/2 cup moong bean/ green gram / cherupayar
250 gm jaggery
1 cup grated coconut
1 tsp cardamon powder
1 cup plain flour
a pinch of turmeric powder (optional)
a pinch of salt
water as required
oil for frying
- Clean the green gram and pressure cook it for 2 whistles adding enough water. Drain the excess water and keep it aside. ( Don’t overcook ).
- Melt the grated jaggery adding about 1/4 cup of water , strain it and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add the melted jaggery, grated coconut and cardamom powder and mix for few minutes till the mixture gets heated up.
- Then add the cooked green gram , mix it well and cook at low-medium flame for about 8-10 minutes until all the water evaporates and you get a dry mixture.
5. Allow the mixture to cool down and then make small balls of the mixture and keep it aside.
6. In a bowl, add the plain flour, turmeric powder, salt and water as required and mix together to form a thick batter.
7. Heat oil in a deep pan. Dip each of the balls in the prepared batter and carefully drop into hot oil.
8. Deep fry it on medium flame till all sides are golden brown.
9. Remove it from the oil and drain them on a paper towel….Serve with tea..