1/2 kg mussels/ kallummakaya
2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 kg (2 1/2 cup) basmati rice
4 1/2 cups water
4 big onions,sliced
4-5 green chillies
1 piece ginger (1 tbsp)
1 tbsp garlic
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup coriander leaves
few mint leaves
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
For Preparing Mussels Masala:
- Clean mussels and marinate it with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Crush ginger, garlic and green chillies together.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated mussels and keep it aside.
- In the same oil used for frying mussels, add 3 sliced onions and saute till transparent.
- Add crushed paste (ginger,garlic and green chillies) and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add 3/4 tsp garam masala, coriander leaves and mint leaves and cook for few minutes.
- Then add 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt and fried mussels and mix well. Remove the masala from flame and keep it aside.
- Wash and drain the rice. Boil water and keep it aside. Heat ghee in a wide thick bottomed pan, add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and 1 sliced onion and saute till transparent.
- Add drained rice and saute for 2-3 minutes in low-medium flame. To this add boiled water and salt and cook till rice is done.
- Layer cooked rice over prepared mussels masala. Mix biriyani colour in 1 tbsp lemon juice and sprinkle this over rice. Sprinkle little garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Close with tight lid and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Garnish with fried onions and serve hot..
- Another method of layering- bottom layer with rice,then masala layer and then again top layer with rice…