1/2 kg mussels/ kallummakaya
2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 kg (2 1/2 cup) basmati rice
4 1/2 cups water
4 big onions,sliced
4-5 green chillies
1 piece ginger (1 tbsp)
1 tbsp garlic
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup coriander leaves
few mint leaves
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
For Preparing Mussels Masala:
- Clean mussels and marinate it with chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Crush ginger, garlic and green chillies together.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the marinated mussels and keep it aside.
- In the same oil used for frying mussels, add 3 sliced onions and saute till transparent.
- Add crushed paste (ginger,garlic and green chillies) and saute well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well. Add 3/4 tsp garam masala, coriander leaves and mint leaves and cook for few minutes.
- Then add 1 tbsp lemon juice, salt and fried mussels and mix well. Remove the masala from flame and keep it aside.
For Preparing Rice:
- Wash and drain the rice. Boil water and keep it aside. Heat ghee in a wide thick bottomed pan, add cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and 1 sliced onion and saute till transparent.
- Add drained rice and saute for 2-3 minutes in low-medium flame. To this add boiled water and salt and cook till rice is done.
- Layer cooked rice over prepared mussels masala. Mix biriyani colour in 1 tbsp lemon juice and sprinkle this over rice. Sprinkle little garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Close with tight lid and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Garnish with fried onions and serve hot..
- Another method of layering- bottom layer with rice,then masala layer and then again top layer with rice…
looks yummy and mouthwatering. never tried mussels briyani
New to me but love to taste, always love mussels….. Good one
never tried mussels.. interesting biriyani..
Nevwr Tasted mussels.Looks yumm..
Thanks for linking..
I nevr made biryani using mussels, so will try out your recipe dear.
never tried mussels biriyani dear. Sounds delish 🙂
Omg, such a new briyani for me, quite a fabulous looking mussels briyani.
ooooooooooh yumm, looks delicious,
Interesting biryani 🙂
Simple Chilli Paneer – No Garlic No Ginger Recipe
You Too Can Cook Indian Food
Drooling here….mussels are my fav.
Adipoli biryani…Looks tempting dear…
Never tried mussels, but your biryani looks fabulous dear.
looks delicious with mussels………yummy biriyani…tempting pic
Interesting & delicious biriyani..yummy!!
Join my ongoing EP events-Rosemary OR Sesame @ Now Serving
looks tasty and Delicious briyani 🙂
Thank you all for your comments…
beef and mutton biriyani publish cheyyumo……naanu
ellam super aavunund …kto
ur blog is my guru in my kitchen experiments……..thanks alottt shabu,,nanu
Thank you Nanu…thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments….